The Council’s longest standing program series brings international experts and dignitaries right to our communities doorstep to discuss important global issues.
The Distinguished Speakers Program event series provides the community with the unique opportunity to hear directly from experts and dignitaries from around the world discussing important global issues and foreign policy. We invite you to take advantage of this program series, participating in the many insightful discussions and presentations that are brought to Missoula.
The Montana World Affairs Council launched the Distinguished Speakers Program to engage Montanans on global issues and raise awareness in the community.
The Distinguished Speakers program brings diplomats, dignitaries, and international policy experts into classrooms and communities around the state to engage Montanans in timely issues of global importance.
As a part of these Distinguished Speakers Programs, the Council hosts Community Discussions in order to give Montanan’s the opportunity to learn from and engage with these speakers in a live setting. Usually held at the University of Montana, these programs start with a lecture from our guest-speakers, which is then followed by a Q&A session, allowing for the audience to steer the discussion to specific areas of interest and concern. Speakers program brings diplomats, dignitaries, and international policy experts into classrooms and communities around the state to engage Montanans in timely issues of global importance.
Our Community Discussions bring in a diverse audience from around the state, ranging from high school students and young professionals, to business leaders and active community members. We hope you will consider joining us at our next Community Discussion!
With more than 200 past programs, speakers have included:
Hayley Smith, Founding Director of Lifting Hands International – “Refugee Crisis: A Discussion of Global Importance”
John Limbert, Retired US Ambassador, “The U.S. and Iran: Endless Enemies?”
Corrina Grace, Founder and Executive Director of SERES in Guatemala and Sustainability Leadership Specialist at UC Irvine, “Unleashing Youth Leadership for a Sustainable Future”
Dr. Sinan Ciddi, Director of the Institute for Turkish Studies at Georgetown University, “Turkey, ISIS and the Syrian Civil War.”
Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, named one of Time Magazine’s most influential people, “The Evolving American Muslim Identity”
- Dalia Mogahed, Senior Analyst and Executive Director of the Gallup Center for Muslim Studies, “Who speaks for Islam? What a billion Muslims really think?”
- Tayeb Jawad, Ambassador of Afghanistan who presented “The U.S.-Afghanistan strategic partnership.”
- Ambassador João Vale de Almeida, European Union Ambassador and Head of the European Union Delegation to the United State, “Europe at a Crossroads: Crisis or Opportunity?”
- James Pond, CEO/Founder of Transitions Global, and Pralhad Dhakal, Nepal Country Director, “Fight for Hope and Freedom: Human Trafficking, Montana, and the World.”
- Dr. James Person presented “Understanding Korea: Past, Present, and Future.”
- Vicki Huddleston, Former Ambassador to Cuba, “US and Cuba: The Best of Enemies.”
- Said Jawad, Ambassador of Afghanistan, spoke about education and other topics in Afghanistan in “The Future of Afghanistan: 2014 and the Road Ahead.”
Council members are invited to engage in round table discussions on critical issues with global experts. Business Luncheon Series events are an exclusive benefit for Council members, supporters and local business leaders.
The Council has recently launched a new initiative, the BUSINESS LUNCHEON SERIES, to connect local community and business leaders with global experts and resources. Keynote guests have included:
- Donald Tong, Hong Kong Commissioner for Economic and Trade Affairs
- Mr. Hakan Tekin, Consul General of the Republic of Turkey in Los Angeles
- Murlai Kanakasabi, Vice President & Senior Economist, Chicago Climate Exchange
- Michael Maibach, President and CEO of the European-American Business Council, former Vice President of Intel
- Dr. Andy David, Israeli Consul General, discussed matters related to trade between Montana and Israel
- Karolo Aparicio, Executive Director of EcoViva, “Rural Development Solutions in Central America Policies and Practices”
- Abdulla Alsaboosi, Consul General of the United Arab Emirates
- Greg Feifer, Author, discussed “Russia: The People Behind the Power”
The Business Luncheon Series is generously sponsored by First Interstate Bank.
In efforts to reach out to listeners across Western Montana, the Montana World Affairs Council has formed a strong partnership with News Talk Radio – KVGO 1290, bringing you live discussion with international policy experts and dignitaries from around the world.
Previous guests on Council on the Radio include:
- Bruce Jentleson, Professor of Public Policy and Political Science at Duke University and previously Senior Advisor to the U.S. State Department Policy Planning Director, discussing U.S. Policy in the Middle East
- Ken Patterson, Global Grassroots Manager for RESULTS, and Genevieve Chabot, co-founder of the Iqra
Fund, discussing the powerful role that advocacy and education can have on reducing global poverty
- Ambassador Mark Johnson, Council Founder and retired US Ambassador, discussing the Arab Spring and the conflict in Libya
- Mr. Hussein Ibish, Senior Fellow at the American Task Force on Palestine and Executive Director of the Hala Salaam Maksoud Foundation for Arab-American Leadership, discussing the current state of affairs in Israel and Palestine
We invite you to SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER here to receive information and alerts for upcoming
Council on the Radio programs. This exciting program allows listeners to call in and speak directly with
the experts and ask the questions that matter most to you. We hope you’ll tune in for this unique opportunity!